Saturday 6 December 2014

6 December 2014

Gentlefolk,

You must be thinking: "Three posts in a week, what's going on?"  A sudden burst of energy - it will probably never happen again.

The last few days have been windy and cold.  Maximum temperatures of  +2 and +3C. Today it's sunny and calm, forecast max of 6C - positively balmy!

My post today is about a special teaching activity, and a bit more on the American political system, following the comment in the post on 1 December about the very low turn-out rate in the recent Mid-term election.

Love poems with International Trade theme

Recently a former student reminded me of an unusual activity I organised with her class last year. The background is as follows.

I am always on the look-out for new activities which can make the Oral English classes more interesting.  On 21 May 2013 I saw an article in the China Daily titled “Science students calculate formulas for love” describing how science students at Fudan University in Shanghai held a competition to compose short love poems with a science theme.  What a novel idea.

At that time I was teaching two classes of International Trade majors (sophomore classes 1101 and 1102) and I challenged them to do the same, but using international trade terms such as CIF (cost, insurance & freight); FOB (free on board); FAS (free alongside ship); FCA (free carriage); DDP (delivered duty paid); WTO (World Trade Organisation).
.
My criteria for the love poems: 3 lines; maximum 15 words; international trade theme.

Some of the more interesting compositions are shown in Table 1 below.

The China Daily published a story about our version of the Fudan University contest.  You will see that in the article the journalist called it a 'wacky idea’, but I prefer to think of it as creative and innovative.  What do you think?

To see the China Daily story, click HERE  or follow this link:  http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2013-07/05/content_16737867.htm  . 

The students certainly enjoyed doing something different, related to their major, and, of course, they are always interested in anything to do with LOVE.

Table 1: Poems by students in International Trade classes 1101 and 1102

CIF (Cost, insurance & freight)
Casually
I met you and
Fell in love

Convict
If you want to be
Free, go!

Come here my darling
I will give you all my love
Forever.

Coffee is lonely without a cup
I am lonely without you
Forge everlasting love.

Can
I love you
Forever?

Come to my heart
I will hug you
Falling in love.

FOB (Free on board)
For me
Only one thing I know
Be my girl.

First time I saw you
“Oh my god” I thought
Because had I found my angel.

Forever
Our love will go on and on
Boy, be mine.

FCA (Free carriage)
First time I met you
Calling your name in my heart
At that moment I fell in love.

Find you amazing
Crazy in love
Absolutely.


FAS (Free alongside ship)
Falling in love with you
Alone
Searching for you in my dreams.

First time I saw you
Appealing to my soul
Say you love me, please.


DDP (Delivered duty paid)
Darkness or
Dawn?
Please re-assure me.



General (with trade theme)
FOB, CIF, FAS, WTO           All those crazy acronyms    Now part of my DNA.
You are the buyer
FOB, CIF, FAS, whatever
My heart is yours.

My love for you
Is like China’s trade
Forever growing.


...

Western Culture classes


We have just completed Week 13 of this semester.  In my Western (really, American) Culture classes I have covered the following topics: Geography; Economy; History; Political system; and Religion.

I regard these as the foundations of a culture or society.

Before now moving on to a myriad of "Way of Life" topics (such as cars, sport, pets, etc) last week we had a "review" class to catch our breath and look back at what we have covered. I summarised the lectures so far, and then answered written questions.

Most of the questions related to religion and to the American political system.  Table 2 shows selected questions:

Table 2: Selected questions posed by students in the review class last week
  
Theme
Question

Religion
Isn’t there a fundamental conflict between science and religion? Americans are smart and technologically advanced, yet many believe in religion. Why?


According to surveys, the proportion of American adults who say they are Christians has fallen from 86% in 1990 to 73% in 2012, and during the same period the proportion who say they have no religion has increased from 8% to 19%.  Why this trend?  Will it continue? Do you think that one day only a few Americans will follow religion, same as in China?


Christianity has one God, but Buddhism and Hinduism have many. Why this fundamental difference?


What actual difference does religion make to a person’s life?


What are the key differences between the beliefs of the Catholic Church and the main Protestant Churches?

Political system
What are the main advantages and disadvantages of the American political system (the 3 branches of government, with checks & balances)?


How do politics affect a person’s daily life in America?


Which do you think is better: the American political system, or China’s?


I watched the TV series “House of Cards”.  It shows system based on ambition and greed. How true is it?  Could someone really kill opponents for political gain?


Only 36% voted in the recent mid term elections.  How can the Congress elected say it represents the whole country?

War
Some people say that America’s main motivation in getting involved in wars such as WW2 and Iraq was to boost its economy.  What do you think?


In the American Civil War, was there conscription or did people volunteer to join the Northern and Southern armies?

Economy
Comparing the Global Financial Crisis (2007-9) and the Great Depression (1929-39), what were the main differences and similarities?


What were the main reasons for the rapid development of the American economy in the 1800s?


China has a much longer history than America, but America is stronger economically.  Why? Is there any benefit in having a long history?


 From my perspective it was gratifying to see so many incisive and inquiring questions (many difficult to answer!).  Seems that my teaching has provoked thinking, which is great.

A student asked me what changes I would make to the American political system if I could?  Hard to think quickly, but I suggested the following (felt a bit presumptuous for a non-American) :  

  • Double the term of House of Representatives, from 2 to 4 years.
  • Introduce mandatory voting for all citizens over 18 years of age.
  • Change some of the "checks & balances", eg exempt Executive appointments from Senate approval
  • Mandatory retirement of Supreme Court Justices at 80.
  • Restrict donations to political parties.
  • Change the system of electing the President, from Electoral College to popular vote.
What do you think?  Any others?

The Electoral College system to elect the President seems cumbersome.  Wouldn't it be simpler to just count all the votes in the country ('popular vote') and the candidate who got most, becomes President?  

Actually, there have been 4 elections when the candidate who got the higher popular vote did not become President.  The election of 1824 was complex and the House of Representatives made the final decision. The other three elections are clearer - the candidate who won most of the popular vote ended up with fewer Electoral College votes and did not become President. 

We all remember the 2000 Presidential election and the shenanigans in Florida which tipped the result in Bush's favor.

 Table 3: Elections in which the winner of the popular vote did not become President.

Year of election
Winner (became President) / loser
Popular votes (millions)
States won
Electoral College votes
1824
ADAMS / Jackson

0.11 / 0.15
7 / 12
84 / 99
1876
HAYES / Tilden

4.03 / 4.29
21 / 17
185 / 184
1888
HARRISON / Cleveland

5.44 / 5.53
20 / 18
233 / 168
2000
BUSH / Gore

50.46 / 51.00
30 / 20 + DC
271 / 266


...

The intrepid travellers


What's happening with the Roberts family as they wend their way around Australia?

Their latest post (today) has them at Cape Leeuwin, the most south-westerly corner of Western Australia. Click HERE or check out Robertstour2014.wordpress.com



Cape Leeuwin the most south-westerly point of WA. It is named after the Leeuwin ('Lioness') a Dutch ship which surveyed this area in 1622, Mathew Flinders passed here in 1801 and nearby Flinders Bay is named after him.

A more detailed view of the south-western corner of WA.  They have had some wet and cool weather.  Jen became quite maudlin in her blog, because Cape Leeuwin is where they "turn left" and head back towards the East Coast.  The family has been travelling for 4 months, and have a month to go.  They will  have Xmas in Adelaide and then it's back home to Brisbane.


Cape Leeuwin is considered the "border" of the Indian and Southern Oceans. The impressive Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse was built in 1895. 


Tom trying out his new surf board at Bunker Bay.

...


OK, that's it for this post.

Best wishes.  Keep well and keep smiling.

Alex & Vera Olah
English teachers at the China University of Petroleum, Qingdao
www.upc.edu.cn
Saturday, 6 December 2014















 



No comments:

Post a Comment